Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Quitzow, "Art College"

Erica Quitzow is multi-faceted. The New Yorker plays just about every type of stringed instrument you can think of as well as sythesizers and maybe even drums. Her band's (or her?) latest release, "Art College," combines all of the electro-pop goodness you'd want to hear on a Saturday night out with the girls, with the depth you'd want out of a night at home with a good book and some red wine. All wrapped up in one neat little package.

I am going to just throw this out here and lose some more scene points: I am a fan of Rasputina. Not a huuuge fan, but a fan nonetheless. Quitzow and Melora Creager seem to have the same quirky, weird quality. Although, if push came to shove, I would get rid of all of my Rasputina albums and replace them with Quitzow albums. Not that anyone would ever hold a gun to my head and force me to do it. But Quitzow is a little less awkward, a lot less creepy.

Erica Quitzow has a way with delivering lines. Spoken-word meets studied songstress. Static and yet acrobatic. And she plays almost every instrument on the album. Jesus Christ.

"Cats R People 2" is a kitschy song, but not to the point where you want to gouge your eyeballs out. My favourites include "Peanut," "Better Than Ever," and "Slept in my Car." "Sponsor (It didn't mean a thing)" is totally kickass, proving that women can play in a man's world and not feel the guilt from being as promiscuous as her male counterparts.*

This music is danceable. It'll get stuck in your head for days. If you are into that sort of thing, I suggest purchasing it. Listen to this track, and dance accordingly.


Peanut - Quitzow

*OK, so this doesn't necessarily "prove" anything. It's just an awesome song.

No comments: