Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Existentelle. But not really.

I am having an existential crisis. I am torn between two opposing views. On one hand, I love that I have a substantial choice when it comes to music. There are so many bands in Michigan, and on any given night, I can see *at least* one good band. On the other hand, I also find this to be unnerving; I see so many bands who should not have been allowed to pick up an instrument and play in front of real people. Furthermore, because of the proliferation of musical acts in a seemingly tiny area (in comparison to the number of musical acts), it is hard for bands who are talented/interesting to make any new fans/money/whatever they are trying to make.

Is that wrong? I would love to foster an open environment where people can persue things that make them happy, but at what cost? Our generation (the "Millenials") was brought up to believe that we are all precious snowflakes with an abundance of talent and limitless possibilities, that we are all individuals, all different, and all above-average. I am sick of this attitude! If we are all above-average, then technically, that makes us all average. As much as I would like to commend our parents for making us feel special and not like pieces of shit, this has gone a little too far. We all have this attitude (and I say "we" because I am guilty of it as well) that we are owed something. For what? What have we done? What have you done? I know what I have done. It's not much. And I hope people don't think I walk around with a chip on my shoulder. It's facade.

Maybe we lack humility. Maybe we lack personal accountability.

Right? Or am I wrong?

When it comes down to it, I suppose there are no solutions to the problems we encounter communicating and miscommunicating with each other.

Thoughts? Comments? Anything? Let's talk about it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree completely.
There are a lot of really talented bands out there that won't be regarded any higher than the crap bands that have a lot of friends. But who am I to judge? Consumers of music now have so many choices, it elle-iminates the romance and mystery of pop music fandom. Eventually everyone will be in a band, and no one will have to search for music. People will just show up at your house and play a 20-minute set, a kin to the door-to-door vacuum salesmen of the 1950s. In the meantime, I'll be listening to Wayne Carter.

The Queen of the Blogosphere and Pizza said...

I need the romance. I need the mystery. Damnit.